Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sulfur Hot Springs

One of the most moving and personal experiences I have had yet in India is bathing in the hot springs amongst Indian women. It's strange how such small day to day experiences can have an enormous impact on your life.

The female body is sacred in India. They do everything they can to cover their bodies and sometimes will be married for years before even their husbands see them nude. I didn't know what to expect entering in the hot springs. The female section was not visible from the outside so I was unsure of the social norm on bathing apparel. Was a western 2 piece bathing suit acceptable or did I need to be fully clothed? As I entered the hot spring I couldn't believe my eyes. There were about a dozen nude women, all shapes, sizes and ages, laughing and slashing about, scrubbing each others backs and just having a grand old time. I had never seen Indian women in this light before. They had completely let loose and were acting almost European, going without shame or insecurity with their naked bodies. The energy reminded me of an American beauty salon. I couldn't understand what they were saying but I could tell they were gossiping about everything and everyone. A huge smile dominated my face. It made me so happy to see that these Indian women could have a moment in their day to be unglued from their societies social restrictions and just do and say whatever they like. Children were running about, old women were dying the silver out of their hair with some homemade concoction, and women were sharing their personal herbal skin remedies. I was welcomed as one of them, I didn't feel foreign at all. They made space for me and immediately starting splashing water on my back to help begin my bathing process.

They didn't stare st me as I thought they would. I couldn't help but stare and they didn't seem to mind. Himalayan women are some of the most beautiful people I have ever seen. They are this tribal Indian/Chinese mix and they ended up with the best genes from both races. Their almond shaped eyes are darkly lined with long, black lashes and they just pierce you with kindness. They are built and rugged yet completely feminine. They have absolutely flawless skin no matter what age they are, and their long, black silky hair reaches past their butt. Their faces and bodies are decorated in simple gold and wool jewelry. They are strong, independent and hard working and I envied their confidence completely.

Bathing with those women in the hot springs day after day I felt my attitude and self image shifting. Being a young woman growing up in American culture you have societal pressures placed on your body image. I never thought of myself as being insecure about my image but I found myself subconsciously judging others. Not on purpose, but just as a result of our societies labels on beauty. I always wanted children, a lot of them, but I did worry about the toll child baring would take on my body. What I saw in those hot springs was pure, natural, unmanipulated beauty. Everyone of them was perfect and there was not even a glimpse of judgment or shame. It was so inspiring and erased and fear of aging I may have had. Their confidence was beautiful, their smiles were beautiful, the love in their eyes was beautiful, and every curve on their body was absolutely beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Ashley - you are a wonderful writer and this post was really inspiring and beautiful. I can't wait to hear more about your time in India when you get home - but reading your posts (especially today's) has really been something I look forward to. I am glad you are having such a powerful experience. Keep writing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete