Monday, January 18, 2010

Ooo la la... The Taj Mahal

I really didn't want to go to Agra, but who goes to India for 4 months and doesn't see the Taj Mahal. I mean, it is one of the 7 wonders of the world. So I was mentally preparing myself to be ripped off for 2 days just to snap the same picture every tourist takes marveling the architectural perfection and immaculate symmetry of the Taj Mahal. How great could it be? So I had my expectations, they weren't the greatest, but at least I wasn't going to be let down.

We arrived in Agra. Much to our surprise (wink wink) the driver that was supposed to be picking us up decided he didn't want to wait for our 5 hour delayed train and we were stranded. Well not stranded literally, but traveling on a budget we didn't want to pay for another rickshaw when one was included with our hotel. So we decided to make a call and wait... and wait... and wait. Finally, an old man emerged from a sea of Indian men persistently yelling to us to ride their rickshaw for "cheap price." The man held a glorious sign that said "Mr. Kendrick John". Thank heavens! It was the most refreshing sight I'd seen in 24 hours. So we hopped into the taxi and away we went. Of course the taxi driver didn't bring us to the right hotel but at this point we didn't care. Kendrick and I are still in survival mode at this point in our trip, and food and shelter were a necessity. We got our shelter and then our food and got royally ripped off in the process. Welcome to Agra. We plopped our exhausted bodies on the bed and regained our focus to the soul reason why we came to Agra... The TAJ.

Agra blessed us with one great sight on our arrival... the sun! Of course India had to have record cold temps and a never lifting thick layer of fog when we decided to journey half way around the world to see it's beauty. Our bodies were craving the sun's warmth and vitamin D. We thought we would go to the Taj Mahal in the afternoon in hopes to get a glimpse of our first Indian sunset.

We arrived at the gate of the Taj after fighting through begging children trying to sell us snow globes for ridiculous prices. I found humor in the Taj Mahal snow globes cause it never snows in Agra. There are only so many ways you can present the image of the Taj so I commend them on their creativity. Once in line to get our tickets I found myself cringing again while looking at the pricing board. 25 rs for Indians, 750 rs for foreigners. We have been spending about 750 rs a day for both of us to eat, shop, and travel around the city. Hey at least we got a free water and shoe covers :)

I have to admit after completing the security check I was feeling a little spark of excitement. The Taj Mahal and all it's hype blew my expectations out of the water. When it came into view it left me speechless and probably with an open jaw. It was stunning and perfect and it really did seem as though it was floating on clouds. It actually didn't seem real at all. It looked more like an enormous canvas painting that was hanging from the heavens. Wondering if other people were having the same experience I was I took a look around. One woman was in tears (Ok, maybe I'm being insensitive but its not that overwhelming). I checked myself back to reality and decided I should be a tourist and take some pictures. Kendrick and I strolled down the mall closer to the Taj stopping frequently so Indian tourists could take their picture with us. We climbed the white marble stairs of the Taj, took one loop around, and found a nice sitting place to watch the sunset. I was pleasantly surprised and completely at ease. The Taj Mahal took its toll on me and did a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment